Monday, January 26, 2009

Potty Training Update

Okay, so saldy I had pretty much tried all suggestions I received, though I was very thankful to all for offering help. As an update as to where we are now...back in underwear, but still peeing just a little bit. About a quarter size. This I can handle, though we continue to tell him he needs to go potty before he starts peeing. He also only gets his toys back by having no pee in his underwear. How did we get back to this stage, you ask? Well, thankfully it only took 1 day. It started in the morning when he peed in his underwear about 1/2 hour after he woke up. So I put him in a pull-up because I had to go to work and I was terrified that he would pee at my friend's house. When I got home, he had peed a little in his pull-up, so I took that away. Yup, he had to go commando! I also told him if he was going to pee in his underwear like a baby, I was going to treat him like a baby. That meant he was going to have to take a nap. Well, at first he though he would play along and wanted to sleep in Jaxon's crib. Well, Jaxon was in Jaxon's crib so I said fine and set up the pack n' play! All this time I was throughly annoyed, however I knew once he got in the pack n' play he would hate it. So I laid him down for a nap. Every 30 mins or so he would start crying for something which I occassionally went in and told him no he had to take a nap before he could come out. Other times I just ignored him. I let him stay in there for about 2 1/2 hours before I decided I should probably get him out before he peed in the pack n' play. Keep in mind he was still naked from the waist down. No, he never did take a nap, but he decided mabye the pack n' play wasn't so fun and maybe he did want to be a big boy. Just for good measure I left him naked for the rest of the afternoon. He never pees anywhere when he is just naked, only if he has underwear on. He went potty a few more times and has been much better ever since. We also have been working on him doing other big boy things like going potty by himself and getting dressed. Hopefully this will last! We'll see!

4 comments:

The Catmull Crowd said...

Hey there is no shame in naked... Thats how i potty trained payton..and it worked. I love that you put him in the pack and play..good thinking! Good luck to the future!

Jill Smith said...

Looks like you're on the mend! Good thinking and good mom for following through with all the threats! That can be hard! I have a blog now, in case you didn't know. I decided to be a big girl and do it by myself :) Trust me,I was tempted to call you many times for help. ronandjillsmith.blogspot
Thanks again for the awesome enrichment. I have pics, so I will try to develop them and post them on the bulletin board.

Emily B said...

Rebecca still pees a little in her pants sometimes, and she is 4. It makes me crazy. I think sometimes they just don't want to take time from playing to go to the bathroom. I'm glad things have gotten better for Spencer.

Haute Deb Designs said...

Wow, Emily, looks like you've been busy!! I honestly believe that potty training (for me) is the hardest thing to do as a mom. I don't envy you one bit, but it looks like things are looking up!!