Wednesday, January 21, 2009

At a loss....

So I have a problem and am in need of any help anyone can give. Let me start at the beginning. In March of 08 my son Spencer saw his friend Cora learning to go potty and decided he wated to. So for about a month and a half we worked on potty training. In that month and a half I became very well potty trained. Spencer would pee on the potty, but not poop and he wouldn't tell when he needed to go, I just had to take him every so often. Then we decided to give up for awhile because we weren't making any progress. We would comtinue to ask him and he would occasionally go. We started to make a little progress in Late July early August 08, but still no pooping. I really wanted him potty trained by school time so I could send him to preschool or some other classes. Finally I gave up and about a week later he finally said, "Mommy, I need to go potty." I was sooo excited. Over the next week and a half he finally became completely potty trained.

Then came October...it started with just a little spot of pee in his underwear every once in awhile, then it got bigger and bigger until it was going through to his pants! What? Huh? I thought we were done? So we tried taking toys away, time out, a reward chart for a toy he really wanted for everytime he was completely dry. Eventually the chart started to work, though it took weeks. So, I made the chart big because I wanted him to learn not to do this for good, not just long enough to get his toy. I learned from our early potty training days!

So here is his Mickey chart. He had the thing filled up except for one ear. I made the mistake of thinking, "Good, I think he is over this." The next week it started all over again!!!! Aaaarrrgggg!!! How long is he going to take to potty train!? Yet again I am continually bugging him all day long, we have taken away his beloved Handy Manny tools that he received for Christmas. He has sat in time out. He has had to take stickers off his Mickey chart. Tonight I came home from the store to find a sobbing son as my husband made him pick out toys to take away. It broke my heart! I am at a loss!!! What do I do?!? I can't possibly put him back in diapers he has been out of them since August, with the exception of night time. I really don't know what to do, but at the same time if I have to change my 3 1/2 year olds wet pants again I think I might scream! Any help, anyone?

4 comments:

Addison, Crew, Carter & Canon's Mama said...

Oh Emily I am so sorry! I have no experience with this yet, but then again I hear girls are easier to potty train- let's hope so!

Amy said...

Logan was 3 1/2 before he potty trained AT ALL so I feel your pain - they are just TOO BIG to be wearing diapers. I have given you all of the advice that I have - maybe someone else will have some better things to try! If you need to go out for ice cream one night after bedtime call me!!!

Michelle Campbell said...

When you figure it out...let me know! I'll be in the same boat in a year or so!

Stuart Humes said...

Okay, so I've never tried this myself but it's worth a shot right? A girl in my ward was telling me this about a week ago. Sometimes kids don't want to stop playing and having fun long enough to go potty, so this girl was telling me that even when they went in their pants, she made her kids put in their time on the potty. So, even when he ends up wet, make him take off his pants and spend like 2 or 3 minutes on the potty so that he understands that no matter what, when he needs to go, he's going to spend time on the potty whether he goes in there, or in his pants. Did that come out right? Anyway, worth a shot. Let me know if you try it.