Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Our outdoors filled weekend!

This weekend we decided to get outside! I have come to the realization that I love the outdoors, BUT I really don't like to camp. I hate feeling dirty. So we booked a hotel room in Flagstaff, and visited 4 national parks!
1. Sunset Crater National Park - an old volcano





2. Wupatki National Park - old Native American ruins

The doors were really small! Perfect for Spencer!
They have a lot of trains in Flagstaff, ao we had to stop a visit. After the first one came barreling through, Spencer wasn't so sure he like the trains anymore. They were close, loud and fast!

I took this picture before I knew how fast the trains came through!


3. Walnut Canyon National Park - cave dwellings of Native Americans - see the middle of the picture below.

Sadly the trail that lead to the dwellings was closed due to a giant rock that fell into the trail!
They did have a fun sand box with paw prints of the different animals in the area.
Okay, small break from the family here. We kept driving past the building and it made me laugh ever time. Would you buy your furniture here?
There was also a county fair going on while we were there, so we stopped by one evening for some fun!
This was one of Spencer's favorite rides.
The was his abosolute favorite. It was a maze at the bottom( I watched more than one person run into a wall), with crazy mirrors up top and a twisty slide coming down. Not much of a "ride," but Spencer was not feeling so adventerous this weekend.
4. Grand Canyon National Park

The poor boys were strapped in the stroller the whole time, but I refused to have it any other way. Yes, I am paranoid! Jaxon loved it though and Spencer called it the "big hole."

On the way out, I told David I was going to see a deer. Turns out we saw an elk and two deer within the next 10 mins.!

Overall, it was a great weekend. I loved my hotel-camping weekend. :)

8 comments:

Katherine said...

I vote with you about the hotel! Good call.
It looks like a great weekend.

Rachel McEwen said...

that seems like it was a lot of fun! Vacationing with kids can be so much fun b/c they get really excited about things which makes me always really excited.

Addison, Crew, Carter & Canon's Mama said...

SUCH fun pictures!!! So cute!! It looks like you guys had so much fun!!!! I LOVE camping, we grew up camping, I miss going all the time :)

Salena said...

Hi,
It's Salena. Brandon is getting hitched and I need yor address and all that jazz. email me salimabean@gmail.com
Love Ya! Cute blog!

Jack Attack said...

you look so cute roughin' it. and I am jealous you went to the Grand Canyon. We attempted it in May but due to a twisted ankle and 2 boys with projectile vomit, we had to turn around and come home.

Alli Waldron said...

That sounds like so much fun. Chad and I find that we end up spending too much time inside. We love the outdoors, but it seems like something always gets in the way of going out.

Amy said...

You are LAME - Camping is FABULOUS!!! I guess the important thing is that you had fun with your family though. It looks like you had a blast.

David and Emily Wilcock said...

Camping is only fabulous if you have a trailer! Even you, Amy, have to agree to that! Even then, I am not so sure...